Monday, July 19, 2010

Munich Part 2

Hey Everybody,

I just arrived in Vienna about half an hour ago. My cousin is in town for a conference, so we will be hanging out later tonight!

Munich.

Munich was awesome.

The day after the BMW Museum and Olympic park, I met up with a pair of Australian brothers who I had met in Nice. One is a professional poker player, and the other one is just finishing university.

These were two of the funniest people I have ever met.

Originally, I had woken up somewhat early in order to go on a Third Reich tour. After they emailed me, I decided to meet them at their hostel, which was down the street from me.

After waiting an unbearable hour in anticipation, I saw their friendly Australian faces walk through the door.

Unbeknownst to us, it was Gay Pride weekend in Munich.

I havent heard so much Gloria Gaynor in my life. We managed to find the parade, where there were men dressed as every 70s pop icon one can think of, as well as more Lady Gagas then I could have imagined in the same place.

The atmosphere was fun, (granted a tad uncomfortable), but we soon left the parade to do bigger and better things.

We ended up exploring the city a bunch, went to H&M, and generally had a good time together.

That night I joined them again. The older brother had met a local while she was working as an aupair in Australia. We joined her, and she took us far away from the touristy section, and we ended up at a small cafe with university students.

We all enjoyed a few drinks as well as a few laughs, and a good time was had by all.

The next day, I had made tentative plans with my friend Marisa from school.

We had met in an anthro class last semester at Syracuse.

Her boyfriend is German, and lives in Munich. She invited me over to meet his family.

What an amazing experience.

The family is originally from Poland, but moved to Munich in the mid to late 70s. Both parents are doctors and they live in one of the prettiest parts of Munich that I had been to.

I was treated like a king!

I could never say no to anything.

Zac, do you want some coffee?

No... Its fine! I am not that thirsty

Are you sure?

Yes, yes, its totally fine.

Are you sure?

FINE, I will have a cappucino....

This happened with everything.

We ended up spending the day with Maxs (Marisas bf) family. We went to a modern art museum called Pinakothek that had a special exhibit with the artist Neo Rauch.

http://www.pinakothek.de/pinakothek-der-moderne/html/kalender/kalender_index_en.php?haupt=ausstellungen&sub=moderne&action=

If you havent seen a painting by him, do it. Your mind will be blown.

I cant describe what I saw, but I enjoyed his work thouroughly.

After the museum we stopped for lunch and ice cream, the whole while discussing topics ranging from cars to lifestyles to American influence to music to cultural differences, etc etc.

The family also has an apartment in Rome, and I will be in Rome while Marisa and Max will be there. They offered me a place to stay for my final nights in Europe, and I appreciate it to the fullest extent.

I offered if they ever came to the New York, they would have a place to stay in Millburn.

That night, I met up with Marisa and Max, and we ended up hanging out at a hookah bar until about 1. Max had gone to Syracuse, and had graduated a year before Marisa and I, so we generally knew some of the same people and places at the university.

Afterwords, I ended up running into some friends of mine from the hostel, we talked and laughed about how much fun we had had the other night in the clubbing district of Munich.

Overall, I loved Munich, and really want to head back there.

Some other notes:

I only have a little over 2 weeks left. Dammit.

I love German food. It can get you sick if you eat it every day though.

I hope to see some Arnold Schwarznegger statues all over Vienna. If anything, at least a terminator plaque.

Vienna is spelt Wien in German. Wiener schnitzel is basically schnitzel from Wien (or Vienna).

My parents half-jokingly asked if I was planning on staying in Europe after the trip was over. I half-jokingly said yes. Maybe a little more then half jokingly.... I am joking. :)

Creedence Clearwater Revival, Springsteen, Phish, Radiohead, The Beatles, and Dylan have been my saviours during long train rides when there isnt anyone who speaks English around me.

Again, I want to thank Maxs family for all the hospitality they gave me.

See you soon!

Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment