Thursday, July 15, 2010

World Cup

Hey Everybody,

Throughout my trip I have made it imperative to watch the World Cup in as many places as I could.

I have heard the WC in 6 languages with a few dialects

I have heard it in:

English
(UK and USA)

Spanish
(Mexico and Spain)

Dutch

German

French

Swiss

My favorite by far was UK English.

I watched a match between Portgual and Spain. They had already won their group, so the game didnt really matter. The match was boring, but the announcers kept yelling about how the game was fixed and a farce. You would never hear an American announcer accuse a match of being fixed in any way. Hilarious.

The best part of the game was at the end, when there was 5 minutes of injury time alloted. At this point the announcers started asking if FIFA was purposely torturing us. Beautiful.

The games have been a whirlwind. It is unbelivable to be in Europe during the WC every bar, restaurant, grocery store, internet cafe, etc. had it on. If there was some type of monitor to watch the game on, it was being shown.

For the final match I was in Switzerland. Peter, the guy from California had heard of this Dutch bar in town. By the end of the match there were at least 400 Dutch fans in our vicinity. They have some type of chant to the song Auld Lang Syne.

Unfortunately, they lost... but it was still a good game.

I also read that viewership for the WC in the US was higher then it had ever been before.... who knows? maybe in 4 years we will win the thing.

In other news, Munich is unbelivable. I actually extended my stay two nights and am skipping Saltzberg.

Thats it for now,

Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment