Thursday, August 5, 2010

When in Rome (Part 2)

Hey Everybody,

I am back in the U.S.S.A, I was born in the U.S.A, This land is my land, this land is your land... etc.

The last few days of my trip were some of the best experiences that I had while abroad. I stayed with my friends Marisa and Max and we had a ball. Each morning that I was there, a small street market was open. We would go down to the market and buy different fruits and veggies, and make breakfast.

I had seen most of the big things in Rome by this point, so we were never really in any type of rush. After I left, they still had a few days to explore the city. The first full I day I had with them I had to wake up unbelievably early because I had yet to check out of my hostel. The night before we had drank a little too much, and we all came to the conclusion that it probably was not a smart idea for me to try to take the buses back to my hostel.

Rome does have a pretty good bus system, but the woman at the hostel gave me entirely horrible directions. She told me to take the bus for 6 stops, and then get off. What she failed to mention was the fact that if nobody is at the bus stop and no one gets off, then the bus driver speeds by your stop.

Of course, it was dark and rainy, so I couldn't see every single stop that we passed. After a little while I asked the guy across from me if I was near my stop. He laughed. Yes, he laughed. He told me directions to get back (in Italian), so I was totally lost.

A good thing and a bad thing happened at the same time. I remembered that I had put Google Maps on my phone, so I was able to type in their address, and walk an additional half mile or so. The problem was that my phone was nearly dead. Luckily, the phone stayed on until I was about a block away or so, and was able to get to their apartment with little trouble.

For two of the three nights I stayed with them, Marisa cooked unbelievable meals. The first was an eggplant Parmigiana , and the other night was an open forced cord on bleu. I do have to mention that Max is quite a good sous chef. Yummy.

We rented bikes for a day, and ended up doing the tour of the Colosseum. The Colosseum is as cool as I imagined it, granted a tad smaller then expected. I kept making corny jokes throughout the museum part saying things like: "They had lights 2000 years ago?!?", "I didnt know they had hand rails 2000 years ago?!?". I was eventually exhausted of making these types of jokes.

A group from Eastern Europe came up to the three of us and asked me to take a picture. Marisa started saying how I was a world famous photographer, and I should charge them quite a bit. The Eastern Europeans didn't really get the joke, but I thought it was funny, and that is really all that matters in that type of situation.

We rode around for a while, had great gelato and I took the two of them to the worlds most unique McDonalds (According to Travel Channel) in the world. It was more of a lounge then anything else.

The second day full day I was with them was also my last day in Rome. I bought gifts for a few friends, my parents, and went shopping at my new obsession, United Colors of Benetton.

That night, we drank to celebrate Marisa's birthday as well as my last day in Europe. Great times were had by all!

I plan on writing one more post about thoughts and statistics from the trip...

Thank you everyone!
Zac

No comments:

Post a Comment