Monday, June 28, 2010

Strasbourg

Hey Everbody,

If one were to compare Strasbourg to a city in the US, it would have to be something like Niagra or Syracuse.

Baically, it is a very small city on the border of another country with one huge attraction.

This attraction is a beautiful church thats right by the city square.

It looks like something out of a sci fi novel, complete with pillars and etchings of figures from the past.

I was originally planning on staying there for three nights. I lasted two, and decided that I had done everything besides seeing a zoo and botanical gardens, which I figured I could see in NYC at any point.

I did eat a food that started with the letter q. This had to have been a first in the life of Zac Gorman.

Can anyone guess what it was?

QUICHE! Apparently a french delicacy, it was pretty good. I ended up finding a small restaurant on the river that cuts through the heart of the city. It was quite beautiful. It was near a street called Rue de Coq... Cannot make that one up.

I am currently in Geneva, and plan on seeing a couple of mueseums and swim in Lake Geneva... it looks gorgeous.

In other news:

On my travel day from Amsterdam to S berg, I had about 7 or 8 hours worth of trains. During this time, I read alot, and tried to overhear if anyone was speaking English.

I heard a woman speaking English, so I asked if I could join her.

That was my first mistake.

Within minutes she told me she was seeing her god son in s berg. Cool, I thought... though I am not Christian I can respect someone who goes out of there way to care for someone else.

Then it happened:

"Zac, do you believe in our lord and savior Jesus Christ?"

FUCK... not one of these people... For the next half hour, I debated how long I could last... on one hand I was speaking English to someone, but on another it was a woman who would not let go of converting me.

I lasted about 20 minutes before I told her my mother was calling... at this point she asked if she could give me a book to think about my religious beliefs. I apologized and told her I had no more space in my luggage... after a little more back and forth, she understood I did not want the thing, and told me that she would pray for me.

That was the most exciting thing that happened on the train.

Some thoughts:

Everything shuts down in France on Sunday. I had lost my dob kit, and was lucky to find a supermarket that sold "Doushe"...hehe... among other soaps and hair products.

The French love to dine. What I mean by this is that it can take up to an hour to get food, and most of the time you have to ask for a dinner menu. This was tough in broken English-French-Spanish.

I had forgot to mention this, but my South Korean friend from Paris told me that he knew about Syracuse through the Political Science Program... Go Figure

People I met:

I met a few British people... they were nice, but the only thing worth noting was that one guy had quit his job in order to go travelling for 4 months... thats very awesome in my book.

This morning I met two Danish guys who were travelling together, and ended up taking two trains with them From S-berg to Bale and Bale to Bern... I may be seeing them in either Munich or Vienna, only time will tell.

Other then that, if you ever want to take a day trip in France, I would head to S berg... you can do it all...

Next Stop... BARCA (in two days)

Have a great summer wherever you are,

Zac

PS... Thanks for all the emails of support for the blog, I really do appreciate it

No comments:

Post a Comment